How accurate can frame geometry be (angles, length)?

My regular off the shelf 40 dollar digital protractor has the accuracy of ±0.2° so I wouldn’t even know if I managed to hit ±0.1°. 0.5 is something I am happy with in my own builds and this is in terms of achieving the technical spec - in reality it might still ride like shit, no matter how accurate my miters were :smiley:

3 Likes

Has anyone worked with steel and titanium and has a sense for which material distorts less (which then should allow for higher accuracy)?

And thanks to everyone for all of your input!

Steel is less distortion. I am always amazed at how much titanium contracts during welding.

2 Likes

Do you have any knowledge if that is related to elongation Daniel?..or amount of heat and size of fillet. Trying to think of the mechanics there.

1 Like

Welding and brazing melt metal, which collapses any built up heating expansion pressure, then cools to a smaller size, which makes warpage an inevitable fact of welding and brazing. Rigidly fixturing something doesn’t prevent warpage but isolates it to the weld area. Most steel is compliant enough that it’ll mostly yield if it can’t move.

Titanium is where warping gets complicated. Titanium’s coefficient of expansion is lower than steel, so warpage over its full welding process temperature range is actually lower. Good luck convincing anyone who’s welded it though! Its yield strength is extremely high, so it can’t yield like steel as it cools. Instead, it winds up stored warp deflection in unexpected places to release as a fun surprise when it comes out of the fixture.

5 Likes

@Daniel_Y is that a total tolerance or a ± number?

It was +/- tolerance

1 Like