Tell me about your shop space

WOW this is the total dream! Congrats on getting that space together - I can’t imagine the amount of work you put in to that.

3 Likes

Jim - Nice! Yes, I love my lathe. The R90/6 wasn’t planned… the motos usually stay in the garage but I decided to tackle a full-custom project, and so there it is. My wife and daughter just shake their heads at me sometimes.

Eva - SO much time and effort. Worth every bit : )

-Chris

1 Like

@ChrisBlandford wins the shop space award!

I have about 400sqft detached garage. Contents include bikes, household storage, a growing selection of machines. It’s not insulated which limits the ‘working seasons’ - Apr to Jun and Sept to Nov. Over the past month or so, I’ve cleared a corner and I’m developing a plan to insulate and install heat/AC.

3 Likes

Throw a bed in your shop and I could live there!

What a treat to have so much natural light. Meanwhile, I toil away in my troll cave :troll:

3 Likes

Glad you dig it…

Speaking of shops you could live in… My all-time favorite shop is motorcycle builder Max Hazan’s downtown LA spot. He’s also got windows and plants, but even has curtains and a sousaphone! Ha. Anyway, it’s a good reminder that shops don’t have to be particle board and 2x4’s.

-Chris

1 Like

Inspirational workshop! Shop plants??? that is next level.

4 Likes

ChatGPT please generate a perfect workshop :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I wanted to share my hobby shop space. I am in the process of moving so this is the end of the shop in it’s current form. Hopefully soon it will be rebuilt.

Full shop

Workbench

Machining

Fabrication

10 Likes

All y’all overdoing it:

5 Likes

I think small shops are much more interesting to look at than large shops. There is a much greater need for creativity. I’d like to know more about your space. Is this a back yard shed? I see a door behind the work surface. Does that work surface fold down in front of you? tell me more!

1 Like

It’s actually a window, in my apartment. I’ve basically built a room in a room with boards and plywood, to give me a frame to mount stuff like the tabletop to, and to protect the walls. Great flexibility, since anything can just be screwed wherever you want it, and I can make shelves quickly and easily. Density is easy to achieve this way, and the lesser used stuff gets mounted high or low. But the day to day stuff is basically always in reach. And a bike frame is of the scale that one can always turn it around as needed. Big workshops are unnecessary. Monè bikes was started in the back of a van, and he even had a lathe!

2 Likes

You guys make me want to reorganize my garage for the third time this year!

2 Likes

I’d agree in part to not needing a big workshop. Depends though. I don’t need a massive space but I don’t want to be shuffling stuff around to work either. Sometimes though you have to work with whats available though. I have in the past for sure.

@alex.v @DEVLINCC

I don’t need a big workshop. But I WANT a big workshop so I can buy more tools that I don’t need.

6 Likes

The biggest problem I’m having with a small work area is that I can’t leave anything set up – I have to break down my setup at the end of each work session and pack everything away. As a hobbyist with little time, this is a huge productivity blocker. I wish I had enough space to have my torch and my frame jig ready and available!

-Jim G

2 Likes

When I first started building I worked outdoors under a small over hang. I made a table top out of ply wood and 2x4’s that I would mount on top of saw horses so I could take it down and store it when I was done working.

When my wife and I bought our first house I lucked out in that there was a detached shop in the back roughly 340sq ft. I felt like I had won the lottery jumping into that space. I eventually built an addition to the back of the shop so I could paint. In this space, I slowly gathered more and more tools and what had once been a very humble little shop eventually turned into a very functional space.

In 2020, my wife and I decided to move. Our next house did not have a detached shop but it did have a 2 car garage which I was able to make a working space, though it was a bit more crammed as I shared a large portion of the space with typical garage stuff.

After about 2 years of this I got the okay to build a shop in the back yard which was mostly grass, I’m not a fan of grass. Thanks to the help of a long time friend of mine we were able to construct a shop from the ground up. 400sqft with a 48sqft paint booth. Having had previous spaces it was amazing to have the opportunity to design a space from the ground up. I made various floor plans and once I landed on the design it was just a matter of putting the pieces in their right place. I feel extremely fortunate to have this space and it could not have happened without a lot of help and work. Ideally, this will be the last shop I move in or out of, but time will tell.

20 Likes

I need to put down some mats and finish the ceiling but this is the third iteration of my garage reorganization and so far the one I like best.

My garage is 20x22 ft and I also have 4 motorcycles in there with a motorcycle lift and the right wall is taken for house supplies.

Working on a “new” Atlas Mill and just finished a Jet drill press that will soon start to be used - turns out that if you are willing to drive you can get some nice deals on old tools.

6 Likes

What fixture is that?

I have a Chop Source that’s similar in design and it is impossible to set up due to the four bolts that hold each laser cut part to the frame.

It looks like yours has set screws that lock the brackets in place instead of the four bolts/nuts. Will you take a few more pictures?

After seeing that, mine is getting some set screws and handles.

That is from The Bicycle Academy.
Very smart design if you ask me, there is a BB shell with a laser pointer and a system to set the fixture straight with it.

i have the manual that i can send you, there are all the pics and instructions on setup.