56mm Steel Headtubes?

Yes, I know it’s a component with very small demand, but it does not hurt to ask. Does anyone know if 56mm straight headtubes are available somewhere?

Why a big “can” like that? Simple. The use of 56mm headtubes enables the use of headsets that allow for +/-5mm reach adjustment. Even though most handmade frames are made-to-measure types of affairs, in some cases the extra adjustability would not hurt.

More about the said headsets can be read here – Workscomponents.co.uk – Reach Adjust Headsets

Thank you for your input.

1 Like

As far as I know, I have not seen any in steel. What length and use case? Out of my curiosity, I can get some quotes for you.

1 Like

I’ve also been curious about this but from the internally routed road bike perspective. Lots of fully internal cable systems use IS52/IS52 headsets.

Edit: whoops, I think I misinterpreted this as asking for OD=56mm head tubes, not ZS56 head tubes

2 Likes

Thanks! For heavy-duty use, all the way up to enduro or even downhill riding. Durability and strength over weight for sure. 125mm length would be a nice middle-of-the-road type of size.

While at it, I just realized that sourcing a reamer for this headtube might be just or even more difficult than the headtubes themselves.

1 Like

Cycles makes a 56mm reamer. I got one for the 44/56mm headtubes that @Equinox made for me.

5 Likes

I’m messing around with the idea of building a 56mm HT at the moment. My use case is a bit strange (1.8 steerer e-bike fork, I’ll be doing ZS56 and IS 60 lol).

But along the way, in my research, it seems like for better or worse, internally routed headsets are a thing. Also reach adjust as stated by the OP, and more angle adjust options could open up. 56mm head tubes aren’t pretty, or light, but for an even more flexible option, it could be cool. How many would use them, I don’t know, but it seems like steel full suspension have taken off in the past few years!

1 Like

Interestingly, I learned a short while ago that some factory-made full-suspension frames (and EMTB’s as well) use a 56mm headtube for increased welding surface area for connecting the downtube and toptube. This does not really matter when working with steel and small-diameter tubes, but interesting tidbit nevertheless, I think.

2 Likes

We made some 56mm headtubes for the Works Components headsets when I was prototyping the RocketMAX Gen4. I then went on to put them on the first steel version of Neko’s Frameworks steel frames. I don’t know how helpful this will be as it’s a UK standard, but we sourced 60.3mm OD x 5mm wall T45 tubing from Proformance Metals. We with turned the tubes to 56mm standard with 2mm wall.

5 Likes

Thanks! That is highly helpful! Good to know that there’s a way if the need arises.

Ps. The Frameworks steel frame is top-notch on all levels!

3 Likes