Bending a tapered tube

Anyone tried this? What were your results? My current design calls for this Columbus Zona chainstay joined to a Paragon yoke on the BB end, and bent on the taper to meet the dropout.

Can a tapered tube be effectively bent with a die-based tube bender? I don’t need a big bend, I haven’t yet calculated the angle, but it will be small, probably around 10 degrees. Sure, I could just use 7/8" chromoly, but that wouldn’t leave much real estate on the Wright-style dropout to build up a fillet, and more importantly, I want the suppleness that the tapered tube offers. Don’t tell me it doesn’t matter, my ass can tell the difference.

1 Like

I’ve bent similar stays close to the widest part of the stays, as mine were close enough to 3/4 at that point. It definitely flattened it a bit more than round tubing, but my bender also kind of sucks. Depends on the acceptable tolerance I guess

Have you seen these?

https://cycle-frames.com/collections/frame-tubes-chain-stays-s-bend/products/201871-4300-nova-crmo-seat-stay22mm-round-oval-round-425mm-10-degree-bend

hi Craig,

I bend the Columbus tapered portion of the chain stays using my fork raking set up, since lots of fork blades are tapered through the bend for rake, it works.

The radius die I use for that has a V groove and the draw bar is just flat…

~carl

3 Likes

and there is this…

1 Like

Thanks Chris and Carl for the tube suggestions. Buying a pre-bent tube is my preference, so it’s nice to know there are options out there. Guess I didn’t complete my homework.

Carl, it looks like your tube won’t work for me, because the end with the larger diameter needs to be round to fit over the Paragon yoke stub. Chris, I keep forgetting Nova is back in business, I’ll give that one a good look.

I already ordered the straight taper Zona stays, and I have an old Imperial 600-F worm drive tube bender, so I’ll probably give it a go, see what happens, document it, and report back here.

1 Like

Carl, I see you’re hiring. I would be all over that if I lived in the area. Alas, I’m in Bellingham, WA on the west coast.

1 Like

hi Craig,
Thanks, unfortunately the work can’t be done remotely. :wink:

Now I understand better what you are trying to do with the stay.
There is a version Columbus makes that is 22.2 round and tapered.
You could probably bend it on the 22.2(7/8") portion with your bender.
It is not a tube I carry, because I hadn’t had demand, but I could most likely get a few if you don’t find another solution.

this is the same tube as you referenced above, but without any oval section.

ZONI14TO410.pdf (348.2 KB)

~carl

2 Likes

3 Likes