Cantilever bosses, silver or bronze?

New to this. I have quite a stash of old frames and id like to modify a couple. I put together an oxy-propane set up using an oxygen concentrator. I am lucky to have a basic collection of machine tools, mills, lathes, etc. to make jigs and such.

In regards to canti brake bosses is silver or bronze reccomended? Any other recommendations? Thanks!

Bronze is better in my opinion, especially if you don’t have a ton of experience brazing. It’s possible to do it with a silver-based filler though.

Bronze will be easier to form a fillet and less likely to burn when and if you overheat it.

3 Likes

Thanks for your reply. I was leaning towards bronze for "fillet " reasoning you mention. Ive read some before asking and i didn’t come up with a definite answer.

2 Likes

Bronze is more tolerant of technique problems and is more generally useful.

Nickel Silver is very strong, whets into small gaps to build a small fillet which would be very applicable. Can use the same Gasflux B as bronze.

Fillet Pro is a low temp filler that builds nice fillets. And then there are 40%, 45% and 50n silvers that also build up nicely at a lower temp than bronze. 56% will be challenging and would be my last choice. The silvers require a silver specific flux.

4 Likes

Thanks for the helpful info. I purchased 3/32 nickel bronze rod and gasflux “B” flux awhile back that i will likely use. I have some silver from Harris along with proper flux also.

Thus far i have only made repairs on cast iron machine parts, repairing teeth on gears, etc. Brazing has shown to be a good tool for the shop.

As far as bike related brazing, fillets will take practice to look good so modifications on old frames would be a place to start i suppose.

1 Like