Coolest track dropouts on the block?

Hi all, Im looking for some cool track dropouts. There is quite a few out there, but maybe you guys have some favourites or seen something a bit out of the ordinary?

Im building a frame for the velodrome, and my customer wants something special for that part.

Drop what you got!

4 Likes

Cut your own. Draw out a shape you like and cut out of 1/4 plate. Nothing cooler than that.

5 Likes

I like that idea. Will take a bit of practice though.

2 Likes

Track dropouts are probably the easiest and cheapest thing to CAD and lasercut. It could be a great side project, I would be happy to help.

Regarding aesthetics, I have been working on some track designs, and IMO, “modern” track dropouts look cool because the chainstay is offset below the axle:

There is plenty of good inspiration in this article:

3 Likes

I think these ti hooded track dropouts for my track bike build are pretty sweet.

2 Likes

Cutoffs from a 2003 dumpster-find Karate Monkey.

I ripped out some solid 1:30 kilos on those (lol).

-Walt

1 Like

Totally a novelty, here’s one ours with the bottle opener!
Ti Slotted DO with Bottle Opener

4 Likes

Ha! Awesome detail. Are they for sale somewhere?

I find plain plate frame ends rather dull. Investment cast ones are almost universally better looking IMHO, especially on lugged steel. It’s a small area where you can add a lot of detail and design choices, so why settle for the simple option when the complex option is still pretty simple?

2 Likes

People have different taste and preference.

I happen to prefer the simple clean lines of these track drops.

9 Likes

I have used a couple of the Bear Frame Components ones, machined here in the UK.

They have integrated tensioners, and 14mm of travel. Currently out of stock, but I do have one set in the drawers. (https://bearframesupplies.co.uk/horizontal-dropout-with-integrated-tensioner-steel/)

All the best,
Dan Chambers

5 Likes

…and Mike Ahrens made some sweet 7005 aluminium ones with brass/bronze inserts, which might be familiar to anyone who’s visited the Aluminum Frame Builder Group on Facebook:

All the best,
Dan Chambers

3 Likes

Love these! Thanks for sharing both.

1 Like

I always love the look of the Paragon hooded track dropouts.
https://www.paragonmachineworks.com/dr2020-steel-frame-components-for-horizontal-rear-dropout.html

2 Likes

I have a nice hooded track drop in production this week , looking to have them ready for purchase in next 2 weeks. they are flanged much like our VGS flanges. CNC machined here a BFS. They should work good for use on BMX , Cruisers and Klunkers too if your wanting more style for those types of builds too. I will post them here and on our IG page when the are finished up,

Also will finally be getting a couple different laser plate options , out on my next batch of laser cut parts. Will keep y’all posted

8 Likes