Crank parts, spindles, threads etc?

Hi,

Interested in making my own steel cranks (initially at least just for personal use, so not a large number), so I am wondering if there is any source to buy the parts? Primarily the spindle and spindle attaching interface, but the threaded pedal attachments would be nice too.

Any help would be appreciated, my second best option currently is to chop up a pair of BMX cranks.

1 Like

Solidbikes used to sell the parts (assuming you plan to do a BMX spindle/BB), you might check there.

-Walt

1 Like

Walt beat me to it

1 Like

Came to suggest this too, seems like they only have 48 spline broached pieces right now.

Looks like you can get a 48 spline spindle on dans comp

https://www.danscomp.com/mission-chromoly-spindle-48-spline-mn5910raw/p1250245?gclid=CjwKCAiAzp6eBhByEiwA_gGq5AXIheo4KaHH-kWLV0KAjyk9sWNWwjsd01vefhcuH3ll4jxfWP3twxoCKMgQAvD_BwE

1 Like

Solid used to have a lot more stuff, including crank parts. Yikes. Looks like they might be done.

That sucks.

-Walt

1 Like

Maybe profile will sell them if they ask nicely?

Right, they’ve had a pretty reduced selection for a while now unfortunately. Their tapered head tubes and rings were really sweet some years ago.

I was shocked when I looked at the site just now. It used to be a really great resource for all sorts of projects, not just BMX.

Maybe they’ll make a comeback… seems like the bike industry winter is here, though.

-Walt

3 Likes

Groovy is still making cranks but only in Ti now. Maybe can get some ideas from him?
He had all the parts at PBE last year.

1 Like