First build: Bulding carbon frame in the the summer house garden

That cleaned up really nicely! great work! I like the SS-TT-ST junction, very slick

1 Like

It is really nice to hear it from skilled builder as You are…thank you!
But it was only logical place for direct mount brakes and I am inspired by @Lester original build:

1 Like

At the end of November snow came…so it was not chance for test rides. Now is Christmas time - traditionally snow is gone and test rides happened. Finally!
The frame is not in final colors. The frame is still in primary color. After some hundreds kms of testing I am going to make final color coating.
It is really great feeling to ride your own bike! My first homemade bicycle frame!

12 Likes

Build looks amazing! I too am embarking on a CF build-specifically a front triangle for my son. This will then be coupled with an aluminium swing-arm that I already have. I was prepared to use electrical tape to compress the layers of carbon but you’ve used nylon tape. Was this efficient enough? Did you prepare the tape with holes too allow the excess epoxy to escape? Sorry for all the questions. Many thanks.

1 Like

You can buy shrink tape specifically for this job. I think the pricking-holes thing isn’t really needed as the excess resin is pushed out along the tube as you wrap (plus if you’ve done your sums right there won’t be too much resin anyway). Check out the video on that link for more.

I am not English native speaker and find the right word is sometimes problem for me…
Feel free to ask questions:)
It is special woven tape which is used in laminating world for suction of redundant resin. After removing tape (it is not problem, because it cannot stich with resin) you get really good surface for another laminating. Sanding, etc. is not must. You can start laminate other layers.
Every shops with needs for laminating knows about it.

1 Like

Yes, you are right. But for shrinking of tape you need temperature over 100 ˚C and my process with blue foam is not suitable for it. For blue foam is temperature too high.

1 Like

Winter is going to sleep and it is time to finish all things. It is time to ride bikes as it is main reason for building. Test rides with bike on basic color went OK so it is time to create final coatings.
It is chameloon blue to green. It mainly looks as blue to light violet :grinning: and here is final result after 2k clearcoat. Everything is made by high quality 2k spray cans. It is a little expensive but if you are without proper equipment…it is enough. Wet decals is printed by laser printer and puted under final clear coat. After some weeks of hardening frame will be polished but it looks great enough now already.

14 Likes

Beautiful paint work!

1 Like

Hi! Bike is finished and is actually riden. Time to enjoy cycling. Thanks to this forum for great inspiration and helpfull members.

12 Likes

What to build next? I am looking for something universal to get everywhere.

• Endurance oriented MTB HT with mounts
  • Gravel bike with mounts
0 voters

Have you weighed the frame?

Yes, not really impressive. It is heavy:) 1.410 kg with paint finish. It is due by using really oversized tubes in the front triangle and by to much layers of carbon fibre on joints. And It is my first frame…
Today I have some experience from my first build. I could imagine weights saves about 250g on the front triangle, 150 g on joints and with simplest color finish I could go under 1 kg.

1 Like

Nice very interesting!