First build-Hallway Steampunk

This is my first build. Overall I am pleased with the results and lessons learned. I 3D printed phase blocks for the stays and miter templates for the seat tube. Both were hugely valuable in getting everything straight.

The head badge and fork inserts are also a 3D Prints.

Overall lessons learned
-Being able to weld a practice joint does not mean you can weld frame joints well :upside_down_face:
-A little creativity with SolidWorks and a 3D printer goes a long way
-Track ends should be at the chain stay angle rather than level with axle for aesthetics
-Brake bridges are hard to weld!

Thanks for all the help from the group!

9 Likes

Thanks for including the pictures of the blocks and supports you used for the stays. Stay supports are something I’ve been over thinking…
And also the bike looks great!:+1:

3 Likes

Fun bike. Are those dropouts custom? I am curious about what issues you were having with horizontal vs in-line with the CS?

I think every SS I have seen has the dropout horizontal with the ground.

1 Like

That is what I thought but after I assembled the bike it just seemed off. I looked at other track frames and some have a slight positive tilt and some are horizontal.

I found when the have a slight positive tilt they are much more ascetically pleasing.

These are just Columbus track ends. I think that these are fairly blocky which also drives my opinion

1 Like

To my eye the only issue with these drops is that the CS & SS angle is a bit off. You could correct that by turning the while drop-out, as you suggested, or by chopping the drop-outs a bit and correcting the angles. Personally I like Steamroller type hooded drop-outs for tig welding and for brazing I’d go multi-part NJS - those thing only take a drop of silver to put together.

nagasawa_rear_track_dropouts_joints_02

Nice work! :fist_right:t4:

3 Likes

3 Likes

I totally agree! My previous track frame was a Gary Fisher and it had hooded drops that I really liked. At the time I bought the tube set I couldn’t find hooded drops.

Bike fab supply just made some hooded track ends I really wish were available when I built this frame.

https://www.bikefabsupply.com/store-2/vgs-track-19mm-flanged-horizontal-dropout-usa-cnc-machined

2 Likes