Fork Crown Race Seat Dimensions?

I am building my first fork, and since I don’t have a crown race seat cutter, I am planning on finishing the crown race seat by turning the fork on a lathe at work. Can anyone help me with the final diameter specs for both 1" and 1-1/8" steerers?

From reading Fork Crown Race Cutting and Facing | Park Tool it looks like it’s 26.5mm for 1" and 30.1mm for 1-1/8" – is that correct?

Thank you!
-Jim G

1 Like

This is from a headset/steerer guide that Cane Creek used to have available on their website. Someday I’ll scan the entire document and post it.

10 Likes

Thank you Mark! That’s perfect!

-Jim G

3 Likes

How are folks taking these to the correct dimension without access to a lathe?

I am aware of park tool CRC-1 (not a cheap investment). I’ve had two people tell me when they use them they always end up undersized.

Any success stories out there with the CRC-1 tool, maybe a method for getting them to cut accurately.

1 Like

I used the Park tool when I built my frame at UBI and it seemed to work fine.

-Jim G

3 Likes

+1 to the CRC-1. I use it frequently for 26.4mm, 30mm, and 40mm race seats with no problems. I’ll sometimes use the lathe to get it close and just get the final 0.1-0.2mm with the Park cutter.

3 Likes

I finally found this document. Originally from Cane Creek’s website, but I haven’t seen it there for a few years. It’s not the latest(no 37/37 EC), but still a lot of valuable info. Please pardon my notes.

CaneCreek_HTGuide.pdf (2.9 MB)

2 Likes

+1
I have the Park tool and haven’t had any issues. I usually use my lathe though.

1 Like