Hallway Cycles 14 inch Kids Bike

Build #3 proved to be the most interesting yet. The kids were ready for a pedal bike and big name kids bikes are trash!

Build requirements were light weight, 14” knobby tires, disk brake, quality hubs, and geometry that doesn’t mirror a rocking chair :laughing:

The kids are ripping around on it and having a great time! I am shocked how much better they can pedal without a coaster brake.

I ended up having to build the wheels due to no one selling 14” disk wheels. Small wheels are a trick to build!

The fist task was building the fork. This is my first fork with my home made fixture. The fixture worked great but will need better fork blade support for tack welding.

A major requirement were direct mount training wheels. I cannot stand normal training wheel mounting! Rear drops were laser cut from send cut send.

The next step was attempting machine mitering with my drill press. Everyone says it can’t be done, they were wrong!

The rear end is 1/2 .035 4130 bent by a eBay bender.

The frame totally welded then painted. Never mind the lack of brake hose mounts after paint…. That was a fun fix :angry:

An attempt at Printing PTEG training wheels- that stuff is awful and wrecked my hot end! Way too much babysitting for a 24 hour print.

The actual training wheels. With PTEG printed cap nuts

Now final assembly! Even a matching Endless Bike Co cog from an old bike :rofl:

Cog spacers and headset spacers are also printed.

11 Likes

Sadly the rest of the world has known this for about 80 years.

Never seen custom training wheels before, sweet!

Sweet build!

My 3 year old struggles riding her cousins bikes with coaster brakes because she locks the wheel every time the pedal hits 12 o’clock. She jumped on this one and started ripping around. She also started skidding the rear wheel and loved it.

I found it hard to believe that no companies that sell 14inch disk kids bikes sold wheels for those bikes. After way too much research I had to use 14” folding bike rims with fake Novatech 28 hole hubs.

BMX rim hoops wouldn’t work well because they all were 36 or 40 spoke count.

In the end having a Shimano freehub was important due to chain rub on the seat stay. I had to use a 68mm bb shell with all the shims on the non drive side with a 6mm offset chaining. Lessons learned :smirk:

This is totally awesome! Can you share the geometry?

Not totally… My design in bike cad is gone?? Probably never saved it. I will rebuild it in bike cad and post it up later. Here is a screen shot of the general idea. I think the front end is the only change. I landed on a 70.5 HTA with 37mm offset for 24 MM of trail. Head tube length ended up 120MM and fork AC became 255.

I think around 255 of reach. The design was around a one piece bar stem. I currently have 35MM stem on it. I wish it was about 10MM shorter reach with the 35mm stem.

1 Like

Inspirational stuff @Brad !

This is always why I question the status quo… I agree that it seems weird everyone assumes coaster brakes are more intuative.

This 3D printed follow bar is an amazing idea!

If you have a newer version of BikeCAD, it will prompt you to save your current CAD when you change files or close out. I think that is how most of the BikeCAD’s go missing…

For the discs on tiny bikes, you can take some inspiration from the Race BMX world: COMMENCAL BMX PROJECT

They use a flatmount caliper and 120mm rotor. Obviously, FM comes with its own problems, but it looks really cool:

1 Like

This version failed spectacularly. I still do not know where the other half went :rofl:

I will be doing a PTEG version printed in the correct orientation next time… I am shocked at how well this bender did. Its biggest fault is the tube holder at the end is much too thin and cuts into the tube. I am making thick aluminum parts to fix that. Wrapping the painters tube in tape also also the problem.

2 Likes

I really like this. Putting the caliper on the chain stay would be a big improvement. I have already dealt with a dress caught in the caliper.

I plan on printing a disk cover because I am very scared of kids fingers in a spinning disk .

2 Likes

Good call. Here is a crazy idea: laser cutting a disc brake without “spokes”:

It would probably look ridiculous with a 160mm rotor, but a 120mm one would not be as noticeable.

I think production rotors are precision ground after laser cutting to ensure flatness, but for a kid’s bike, it might not be a huge issue.

2 Likes