Help me buy a mobile welding table

Last night, I finished my TIG welding class at my local JC. It was awesome having access to the lab, but the booths are funky and the machines are tired. I just ordered a TIG machine with all the fixins, but I need to buy a welding table to continue practicing before I make my next frame later this fall.

Someone once said that a good alignment table is one of the most essential purchases, even before a frame fixture. I have limited space in my garage and need a table on casters that I can raise & lower and stash below my laundry area. My intention is to use this table as a jig, for alignment, and as a welding surface.

Strong Hand Tools makes just the table, but it’s only available in 48x30", and I prefer something slightly larger, closer to 5x3’.

My questions are: 1) Do I need something larger? 2) Are you aware of any plug-and-play alternatives priced similar to the Rhino Cart?

1 Like

There are definitely alternatives available depending on your location. Obviously shipping is a factor. Get as big as you can really. If you are going to use it as a jig base then you want to be able to fit the whole frame on. Anything smaller and you get into work arounds which is painful.

2 Likes

Yeah, I think the “sweet spot” is 48" x 36", but for some reason that size is not too common for a mobile welding table that I could find. You may want to check out Siegmund, but they tend to be non-mobile and quite pricey. Really wish the Rhino Cart was 48x36.

I ended up going the cheap route for now and got a Northern Tool - Klutch mobile table. $300.
I figure if this gets beyond the “hobby level” I’ll need to get something more substantial.

1 Like

I’m US based:

Take a look at the Arc Flat tables. I don’t have direct experience, but hear they are pretty modular.
https://www.langmuirsystems.com/arcflat
Maybe @liberationfab has a few?

I also went the cheap route with this table from Harbor Freight.
My shop is also pretty small, but I already had a frame fixture and alignment stone, so my welding table didn’t need to double (triple?) as a super precision surface.

1 Like

That’s correct! I have two of them that I bolted together. They work great but aren’t that portable, the casting is quite heavy.

1 Like

Thanks for the responses! After posting this message, I emailed the sales team at SHT and am still waiting to hear back. The Siegmund looks awesome, and they make a larger 4x5’ table, but it’s overkill for my needs, and I can’t justify spending $6500 this early in my journey. That said, I firmly believe in the proverb, “You get what you pay for,” and I’m always happy to pay for quality. I’ll keep searching and report back after making a decision.

1 Like

Yeah, let us know what they quote you for the tables you inquire about.

1 Like

I’m also considering a new welding table in the near future. I like the Langmuir cast iron table that FlatironBikes mentioned earlier. I also like the Buildpro Rhinocart, especially the nitride coating although it is very expensive. I am in a humid environment and really concerned with rust. You should also check into the Primeweld line of welding tables. They have some nice features without breaking the bank.

There’s a guy on YouTube that’s done a comparative review of some popular welding tables under $1000. He uploaded this video clip a few months ago. He offers some solid advice. Check it out.

To throw my couple of cents in here:

Buildpro offers a 30x60 Rhino cart. Siegmund has been mentioned, and offers a slightly deeper cart option (32in vs 30in).

Texas Metalworks makes a steel 30x60 table, but it won’t be quite as nice of a reference as the two brands above, since the surface is untreated mild steel.

Personally if I had a budget similar to yours, I’d get a normal 3x4 Siegmund (not cart), put it on locking/levelling casters and potentially custom legs (if you truly need to lower it), and then, if you find you need it, bolt on some of the table extensions they sell.

There’s also the newer small table options from Fireball tools, the Dragon Wagons.

Thank you, @jellywerker! – your .02$ is super helpful. The Dragon Wagon 54x30 cart looks awesome and just might fit the bill. I’m meeting with a local builder tomorrow to get a second (or third) opinion before pulling the trigger. I’ll report back with my final decision. My Miller Dynasty 210 arrived on Friday, and I’m itching like a kid who rolled in a patch of poison oak to fire it up and keep practicing before starting another project later this year.

2 Likes

To close the loop, I decided to scuttle my plan to have a table as my frame jig and alignment surface. Instead, I ordered a 48x30" Rhino Cart and skipped the added expense of a table that can be raised and lowered. When I’m ready to make my next frame later this year, I’ll order a freestanding fixture and cross the alignment bridge when I get there. Thanks again for all of the suggestions!

1 Like