I made my first stem

So I have long legs proportionally, and I also ride a 2000 hardtail turned drop bar commuter. This doubles down into needing a super short, particularly weird stem. Much like a dirt drop stem, but for 1 1/8 threadless. There’s only 1 on the market that I found like this, it’s from discord components on the east coast. I showed it to @mark_pmw one day and he said it was “butt ugly” and that I should just make my own. So I did! Ive been a machinist 17 years but only braised a handful of times. After some tips from other threads on this forum, and cobbling together a rudimentary jig, here’s the results. It’s not perfect, but I love it, let me know what you think!

18 Likes

That’s rad! Did you ream the steerer extension after brazing? If anybody has the right tooling to do it it’s gotta be PMW headquarters. :clap:

3 Likes

Thanks! We do have a reamer here, but I used our manual lathe cause… why not? haha

8 Likes

I’ve found brazing thick pieces of metal like that stem clamp to a thin tube to be pretty difficult - nicely done!

2 Likes

Nice work @Dave_PMW, I like the peened faceplate.

2 Likes

Thanks! I did a practice piece with some of the tubing and a hunk of steel scrap first. Yea you really have to focus the heat on the thick piece for it to work.

1 Like

Thanks! That was a leftover faceplate from years gone by that had a logo on it for a brand that isn’t around anymore. Donna was kind enough to let me liberate it from the junk drawer and I hammered it mostly so you couldn’t see the logo haha

4 Likes

You guys have the best scrap pile

4 Likes