Looking for a specific plug-style rear dropout

Going out on a limb and maybe somebody here can help! In search of a replacement dropout for a 90s GT Timberline. Pics below. I’ve seen the same maker’s mark on other dropouts available now but I can’t find one that quite matches. It’s a bit obscured in the photos but the angle is 55°. I’d love to be able to just plug another drive side one in, but if I can’t find the right one I’ll just replace both sides with a different style. Thanks for any help!

90s GT timberline = braze or weld a big chunk of steel in there to reinforce and call it good.

I mean, the frame (and probably the entire bike) is worth less than a set of new dropouts, let alone the labor. Why spend the time completely replacing the dropouts when you can patch it up to safe/rideable condition in 5 minutes?

-Walt

4 Likes

That was my thought too. Clean the fracture up and join the two tangs together and brace them against each other.

2 Likes

I have always theorized that metal 3D printing could be a cool tool for frame repairs. You could easily reverse engineer that dropout in CAD and print it.

It would probably only cost $40-50. However, not sure it’s worth the engineering time and money. It would be a really cool project.

2 Likes

I know it’s not worth much effort economically, but the bike is sentimental to the guy. It was a gift from his late wife and reminds him of her. I feel like I kind of have to do the repair justice. Thankfully he’s not concerned about aesthetics!

Not much meat in that dropout, is there? I was hesitant to just weld the break back together, thinking it wouldn’t last.

2 Likes

Maybe Ceeway might have something? I tried to internet search and the 55 degree part is hard to find :frowning:

1 Like

Yeah, cool idea Daniel. Totally out of my wheelhouse, but I am curious about 3D modeling. I’ll have to dive in one of these days. Your frame tutorial would be a good place to start!

2 Likes

You’d weld it back together then add a small triangle of ~1/4” plate in the acute angle between the tabs. I must have repaired 100 old campy dropout frames that way. If you take a little care it can actually look nice, or you can go full redneck if you aren’t concerned with aesthetics.

-Walt

5 Likes

Thanks, Walt! I’ll get it patched up and forget about replacing the dropouts.

3 Likes

I would think that welding the dropout back should be enough, is it not?