New Tapered Lugs!

Just wanted to give a shoutout to Alex Meade on his tapered lug project.

https://alexmeadetools.com/lower-head-lug-to-fit-tapered-columbus-head-tube/

It takes a lot of money and time to take on a project like this, so go show some support!: https://www.instagram.com/alexmeadebikeworks/

12 Likes

I saw some of his earlier revisions and to my somewhat uneducated eye they looked very nice. Alex is a great guy as well.

1 Like

Is anyone doing a flattop or Paris Brest-style crown with a 1.5" steerer?

As far as I know, I don’t think anyone makes a tapered fork. I have been playing around with the idea of a 1.25-tapered cast fork crown.

If you are committing to 100x custom cast fork crowns, it is not much more investment to get a custom bulge butted steerer tapered tube made to go with those crowns. However, a tapered lugged fork might upset the delicate framebuilder multiverse and cause outrage among the purists!

Somewhat related: Battaglin has a set of really cool tapered headtube lugs. I talked to them at MADE, and they said that they have access to casting in Italy, which is what allowed them to make the custom lugset.

5 Likes

Pelago is the only company I’ve seen produce a tapered lugged fork. The Crown isn’t available but it gives you an idea of what it looks like.

Is there a reason you want a tapered Steel fork? ATMO a tapered steel fork is heavier and doesn’t provide any benefit until you get well into MTB territory.

1 Like

A couple years ago I saw a post where Casey of Mars Cycles took a 1.5" hole saw to a Paris-Brest crown and then brazed the two pieces to a a Paragon tapered steerer. Cool looking, one-off fork.

3 Likes

No particularly, I just wondered. Personally, I don’t like to use a carbon fork on a lugged frame - although perhaps a WoundUp would work nicely.

3 Likes

I have done a few. Here’s the latest one on the lathe getting the crown race cut to dimension.
Untitled

Before Paint:
Untitled

I like lugs but prefer straight blades for disc forks (i suppose I do for rim brake forks as well) so, I take a hole saw, cut the steerer miters at an angle that matches the rake I want.

5 Likes