Off topic. The Bread baking thread

We bake bread almost daily. Well, mostly my wife does. Sourdough. It has become as elemental to my life as black coffee and cold beer. Breaking that crust is a ritual I can’t live without. Here’s today’s loaf.

8 Likes

Sourdough pizza night tonight. Ready for the snow.

![IMG_5668|375x500]
(upload://jHCmNrRydkI0z0qtGrXOQebU4G5.jpeg)

Last is a Brazilian sweet pizza

3 Likes

Sourdough waffles for the snow day

5 Likes

Todays loaf.

6 Likes

I don’t make bread often but stumbled upon some Campagnolo bread at the store today that made me laugh and think of this thread. Y’all will have to master this loaf on principle.

7 Likes

It’s a different kind of bread, incompatible with any other bread! :rofl:

7 Likes

7 Likes

Uuuh that does look very tasty!

1 Like

It was.

1 Like

Blueberry and lemon sourdough scones.

4 Likes

OH my goodness. I bet these are amazing! ::: going to go get a coffee now :::

2 Likes

Todays loafs.

4 Likes

The teachers at the school will be happy tomorrow

8 Likes

Some lovely looking loaves on this thread! I grew up with my mother making bread several times per week, and now as an adult I bake bread for my family each weekend. I used to do sourdough, but got away from it because of the extra work and waste of throwing out starter I couldn’t use. I’ve made things like crackers from discarded starter, but just found the hassle wasn’t worth the extra effort of the mid-week bake to use it up. I’m willing to entertain starting back up if someone has a good method of keeping a nice active starter without waste. In the meantime, I’ll continue to bake with commercial yeast using preferments, small yeast portions and longer proof and rise times which has yielded nice results.

2 Likes

I’ve had great success doing no-knead breads in a dutch oven as shown in the NYT recipe. My usual process is to fold 3-4 times over the course of a few hours instead of the single fold they use. I also will make a preferment rather than mixing the entire dough the night before. I’ll have to give this a try and compare results.

1 Like