Packable Bike....Ideas Please

Hi Folks,

Thought I would ask peoples opinions as to packable bikes? I’ve been thinking about building another frame, one which can be split into two to make it easier to take on a plane. Being in the UK I have looked at various options, all of which seem very costly due to Brexit or import duties.

The Ritchey breakaway kit is virtually impossible to get hold of in the UK, couplers are crazy and almost the same cost as the tube-set…so ideas people?

Thanks in advance,

Richard

Paragon Z Couplers?

1 Like

Depending on just how portable you need, take a look at the Japanese rinko parts. They allow you to pull the fork out of the frame, quick disconnect brakes, and break apart fenders.

1 Like

I have a ritchey kit I don’t have plans for. I can ship to uk.

1 Like

Check out @normaali ‘s thread “OFXD builds (Scandinavian Design)”

Really slick packable frame design in ther!

2 Likes

I have always liked the simplicity of Rob English’ foldable concept: Folding Road Concept | English Cycles Seems like something thats fairly easy to make yourself with some stock tubing and a lathe.

1 Like

Yes. I have made several frames with simple bolted connections. It is a simple way of building packable bicycle frames. I have focused on the size of the package (no extra charge when flying) and not so much on the ease of putting it together.

2 Likes

S&S couplers have been around for almost 30 years now. Keep an eye out for cheap or trashed frames to extract them from. That’s how I got a pair.

Cycles Khelys has some real innovative break down to make the bike smaller. Some really thoughtful innovative ideas and they don’t seem too complex for a builder to make themselves. This is one of my favorite bikes I’ve seen as far as packable designs go.

I was talking to Jens from 3DPBS yesterday and he has 3D printed couplers that are a fair bit cheaper than the machined ones.

1 Like

All the best,
Dan Chambers

I enquired with Je Sen at 3DPBS for some pictures…posted here with his permission.

Intermeshing angled teeth and crossed retaining bolts.
Still not clear on how it interfaces with the tubes…butt joints? And how the bolts hold…must be a female threaded nib on the lower inside lip somewhere, but that still leaves the other hole with no matching female thread :thinking:

“They are available. Recently just Patent granted. The coupler frame is testing in EFBE now, coupler stem test already passed. Hopefully, we can officially announce it at Eurobike.
Picture shows,titanium 35mm, hopefully retail price about €170. Since is 3d print, it can be any shape, diameter or strength”

All the best,
Dan Chambers

3 Likes

Interesting, are these being made in steel as well?

Yes, he’s offering them in 316L stainless, too.

All the best,
Dan Chambers

1 Like

Great news, thanks

1 Like