PNW Stainless Steel Slider Width

Butt the tube up to the plate and weld away. I have one of these frames hanging in the shop and can get better pictures tomorrow.

Thanks for the clarification! If you could snap a photo, that would be superb.

Also, thanks to @Neuhaus_Metalworks for posting a photo of that BMX frame. It’s interesting that you don’t see dropout joints like that anymore or rarely at most. I’d assume it’s mostly about aesthetics, and the BMX freestyle industry has moved on largely to cast dropouts, even though simple plate versions are still commonly used.

I step down from .075 to .0625

2 Likes

I’m not grasping an image in my mind, well, the image that comes to mind looks like a weak joint. Definitely would enjoy some visual confirmation.

I think @drwelby is talking about this type of solution:

That is a Ritchey dropout and the came with rounded over tabs that I assumed were meant for this. I brazed those with bronze and that bike has tons of miles. It’s a tiny sample size though.

2 Likes

This doesn’t show the back side, but it’s just notched on one side (so it overlaps the dropout on the side you see, but not on the back).

-Walt

2 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/CnNeb0OSrnI/

NEW PRODUCT ALERT! Wider Flange on our Stainless Steel Flanged Sliding Dropout #DS1007. Compare the new .990” on the left to our existing .740” on the right. Shown here with #DR4139 #MS0022

Big news!

4 Likes

PMW in this thread -

4 Likes

Haha, accurate.

The team at paragon is very supportive of this forum, I am going to help them get set up this week.

4 Likes

I’d hope so, it’s free market research!

2 Likes

Right, we’re dipping our toes in to start.

This is one way we add to our lineup; we get a suggestion from a builder, in this case @Neuhaus_Metalworks . If it’s a reasonable request, we’ll give it a try. If it sells, great, if not, we’ll drop it.

6 Likes

Seems like most of the builders prefer non-hooded sliders for brazing and the hooded ones are usually welded (Walt has specifically mentioned on mtbr that brazing the hooded ones is not a good idea). Has anyone successfully silver-brazed the new wide PNW sliders mentioned above? (Mark was kind enough to confirm this works fine, but I just want to check any real examples out here)

2 Likes

I had no problem silver brazing stays to the narrower version of the hooded stainless dropout. Not a huge amount of space for brazing, but definitely enough. Built this frame for myself in 2018 and it’s been flawless.
Based on this, I’d say brazing to the wider version will be no problem at all unless you want to use super chunky stays.

Zona stays. 30% silver.

As built. Never ridden.

Taken just now.

6 Likes

Thanks for the comments, looks great. And I love the root beer paint!

4 Likes