Seatmast Topper Spec & Discussion

Very cool design! I have had some good and bad experiences with those single-bolt clamping designs. I bet it has to do with the tolerances of the cones.

One of the weirdest bike designs I have ever come across is BMC’s angle lock seatpost on the 2011 team machine SLR01.

It uses a cam, coupled to a turnbuckle, connected to an elastomer on the bottom of the seat tube

Here is another bizzare design from their 2008 SLX01 half aluminum, half carbon monstrosity

Funny story how I came across this design: I found a teammachine frameset behind a dumpster at my velodrome. I ended up building it up and riding it for a bit :rofl:. The seat post creaked a lot
I actually think the design of the seatpost quill was pretty cool, but they were just trying to do too many things at once for no reason.

2 Likes

b…m…c…? b… m…x…?

The first 26” I built for myself had a pretty janky 27.2 wedge post. Pivotal seat posts are pretty easy to convert since the bolt is through the top of the saddle.

6 Likes

Beatifull work and nice pictures. What are differencies between internal stub post style and external in terms of usability and performace? Thanks for opinions.
Majority of builders using external style. I am building now road bike with ISP with ST with OD 30.4 mm and ID 27.2…it allows to me cut ST and use normal seatpost in future. I am planing to use external Ritchey Seat Mast Topper 30.4 ID.

2 Likes

Thanks. Id not do internal again to be honest. You need thick walls for the wedge to work against. External has less moving parts and will weigh less.

2 Likes

EDIT: Nevermind, it seems I didn’t understood the design correctly, my bad

I’m totally in on this! I’ve always wanted to do an ISP but have heard to be cautious doing one in steel. Spooked me a little bit. Why would doing an ISP in steel be sketchy? Using too thin material for the ISP?

I guess it could buckle if you use a too thin of a tube? I would prefer to have a tube buckle than snap in half like carbon does, but it’s also true that those carbon tubes are made on purpose for this while the steel are not so maybe the “danger” comes from this?

Ya, not sure where that warning comes from… Not dismissing it, just curious.

Does anyone have any photos of snapped steel ISP’s? On second thought, please don’t share the aftermath :rofl:

But circling back to the conversation, I am curious what ISP “standards” are:

• 27.2 carbon ISP on paper is my favorite
  • Off the shelf toppers are 34.9 (Ritchey, No6)
  • the “maybe ill chop it off later” choice is 30.4? What tube would this be?

I am curious because the seatpost and seat tube are the main driver of vertical compliance in a road/gravel bike. 30.4 and 34.9 steel tubes are going to be much stiffer than a 27.2 carbon seatpost.

The Open Mind has a cool ISP that is 25mm thick:

In steel, a 25.4 diameter ISP could add a lot of vertical compliance into a frame.

Does anyone else get anxious looking at those set screws to hold the topper from slipping?

I believe the scare comes from using too thin walled tubing. I think it needs it to be a thicker walled tube for strength but that also comes at a price with weight.

Those of you that have built with steel ISP’s, what walled tubing did you use?

2 Likes

@Daniel_Y I have filament wound carbon tube with 27.2 ID and 30.4 OD. It looks very stiff. I think it may works for my 75kg:). I am planing it to use it on my personal build.

1 Like

Ah, I didn’t realize it was a carbon tube. That is a totally different story! I feel like a 30.4 steel tube would have been really chunky.

Where did you source this tube?

I bought tubes from m.carbo. He is selling from Poland (EU) as I am EU based too.

Underline note. Thanks for this forum, there are many educated people and people with right questions. I am a hobbyist with limited time for errors:), so right information really helps me.

3 Likes

Please, where is “open bike hardware project” placed? Thanks

I used a 28.6 tube with a 0.8 wall and made a spine for it to ensure the buckling doesn’t happen. See photos up further. It has workd nicely over 20000km of ridning between both bikes. I would say I probably won’t build another one. I think a nice 27.2 carbon post gives a really nice ride and no complications.

4 Likes

Thanks. Some really cool stuff. I spy a 3D-printed topper + 3D printed saddle!

This is still on my todo list. At some point when I have some time, I will curate all great projects and information on the site into a few posts and locations. Americans call it “Spring Cleaning” which I never do :sweat_smile:

Agreed. I think ISP is mostly for aesthetics, and I can’t argue with that!

I think the funniest example is Caley Fretz’s ISP coupler mosaic:

Well-designed, compliant, removable, $100 27.2 carbon seatpost? Naw. $800 titanium S&S coupler upgrade? Yes. :rofl:

5 Likes

:rofl: but isnt that what the whole industry exists on.

3 Likes

A z-coupler would have at least looked better than an S&S.

2 Likes

but what an absolute flex, I am here for it

4 Likes

Cool discussion!
I’m considering trying to do my first design for printed metal, and the part is either going to be an ISP topper or a weld-on topper for a 27,2 or 31,6 mm tube seat tube.

I’ve seen different brands including the Enve 2-bolt hardware in their design, and I’ve also heard that it’s more reliable than the single-bolt version. Do any of you have any experience with the Enve 2-bolt hardware?
I’ve also tried to look for drawings, specs, or dimensions requirements, but I can’t find any… Does anybody have some information or knowledge about compatibility? :grinning:

1 Like

For those that have done carbon seat tube/mast can you recommend methods for adding h2o bosses on them? Rivnuts? Epoxy?