Seen around the web!

I thought it would be fun to start a thread to share bike industry, framebuilding, welding, fabrication, etc related things found on the web

2 Likes

Came across this video on Pinkbike this morning about Production Privee’s factory in Andora:

They have a really cool robotic welding system:

I am also jealous of how much space they have! Pretty cool to see what an advanced manufacturing framebuilding cell could look like.

2 Likes

I was watching that last night. Can you imagine the cost of running that place?! Would interesting to see how many bikes they sold per year.

2 Likes

This seems well suited to this forum, pretty neat stuff! I am particularly interested in the flex stay trail bike they are also making.

2 Likes

The Production Prive and Forestal bikes has uh questionable backing. When Forestal first launched there was secrecy on it’s backers being Russian backers. They bought a former Opel dealership building in Andorra that is 8,000 square meters on 8 floors.

From the scarcity of Forestal bikes in the market I can’t image they’ve covered even a small fraction of the investment in that facility.

But cool tech.

3 Likes

While doing some research, I stumbled upon this blog about Yamaguchi’s framebuiding school:

https://www.steubengineer.com/blog

Another cool blog:

Does anyone else miss the innocent blog internet of the early 2000’s? It was a simpler time, with much better information

9 Likes

Dropped chainstays are getting out of control:

Link: Fernweh - Kinesis Bikes - Kinesis Bikes

I like the BB though, looks like BSA with clearance for internal cables.

5 Likes

Art for art sake. LOL

1 Like

Really don’t understand this one. I guess there’s a bit of compliance there but with 29x3” rubber that’s not gonna be all that noticeable. And they’ve still ended up with 460mm stays.

Sorry, it’s time for me to bail on the forum.

1 Like

2 Likes

A cool shop visit article to Matthew’s Saffron Frameworks:

Beautiful shop, beautiful bikes.

Also, the author deserves an award for this gem:

From Filet Mignon to Fillet Braze-On

This line gave me pause:

But beneath the glam veneer, cheffing was taking a toll on Matt’s health, happiness, and connection to the wider world. “I loved cooking. But I hated the aggressive, high-stress environment a commercial kitchen demanded. And as the years rolled on, I grew more and more disillusioned with it all until eventually, I spiraled into a depression and decided to quit cheffing altogether,” he tells me, sipping on his tea before resting it down. Lost, uninspired and seeking connection, Matthew rekindled his passion for bikes and sought a kind of therapy in the pedals. “I found that when I was riding and racing my bike, I felt free, uncluttered and creative again,” he says.

The restaurant world has got to be tough. You work at the times when everyone is enjoying life (evenings), and you gotta deal with customers all the time.

3 Likes

That Kinesis BB shell looks like a threaded soda can and the whole frame just has this droopy saggy look.

4 Likes

How about some 3D printed Ti E-bike cranks? only $1300!

Only a matter of time til people are riding $20k mopeds.

3 Likes

Same price as campy super record cranks, but campy cranks don’t have nearly as much titanium!

1 Like

What a steal. It’s roughly ~350g of printed material. So at $2-3/g to print TI, my guess is the cranks cost $600-800 to make. Cane creek is basically printing money.

3 Likes

Actually $750-1050, based on your estimates (350g x $2 and 350g x $3). Plus R&D, post-print machining, other small components, marketing, S&H, consumables, labour, etc etc. So not much mark-up at all really, and will likely be a very low-volume item so they probably won’t make much money at all.

1 Like

Also, looks like Reynolds is jumping on the 3D printed dropout bandwagon. I dig the bestagon design!

I would love to go check out Taipei some day.

4 Likes

People like bling and jewellery and shiny things. I’m not immune to that either. There is no logic in it beyond the performance numbers.

1 Like