Seen around the web!

I believe @jimg made a much better one using his wood lathe - the video is not me, I just have the same cheap mill table sitting around

1 Like

Oh yeah I know you’re just passing along the link to the vid.

I’m not as against abrasive mitering as I might sound. I set up to do it on my 2x72 belt grinder years ago back before I had a lathe, but then I was pretty happy to be able to do it on the lathe. Then I got a mill and I’m even happier. But the abrasive belt method isn’t a total dead end. I’d just want a system that’s quicker to use, like changing mandrel sizes and changing belts. Both those tasks took seconds on my 2x72. That’s an expensive belt grinder, but it’s very useful for many other tasks, not only for mitering.

I know one guy (Dennis Bushnell) who built a really great abrasive mitering system, still in use at R+E Cycles in Seattle. His original purpose was to miter Aermet 100 Alloy, which is so hard that it dulls HSS holesaws. But even for Aermet, when it was “a thing” back in the '90s, I was able to do it just fine on the mill with cheap welded holesaws. And they’re so cheap I didn’t mind replacing them after just a couple of cuts. I even sharpened them a couple of times, on the belt sander, by eye, and they cut pretty much like new, though being so cheap it makes more sense to just buy 'em in bulk.

Have I shared this before? Here’s R+E’s miter machine, not a great photo but note the spare belts off to the left, see how long they are?
Abrasive mitering at R+E

Such long belts don’t heat up as much and they last much longer, so less time spent changing belts. They’re wicked expensive though.

Ah here’s a better picture of the ‘business end’ of the machine:

They built a pretty good dust-extraction system for it but I still wouldn’t want it in the same room as my precision tools (mill, lathe etc.)

7 Likes

That wasn’t me, I just posted a photo from @ThrifyFramebuilder on Youtube – he is on this forum too, I think as @PC56.

-Jim G

1 Like

Nice!

6 Likes

Ha! I’m hoping no one will find that.
I’ll restructure the talk in blog post form and post it here in 2 weeks. I want the original Taiwan article we are working on published before I release the photos.

4 Likes

Since it wasn’t posted, I assumed that was the case but went ahead anyway! :wink: Nice job!

It’s not you but, I don’t like how PBE films these focusing on the speaker who is pointing to a presentation. Don’t get me wrong, you have lovely left ear but…CameraDude(ette), please, there’s something important on the slide and I want to see that!! :laughing: Apparently you had some secret stuff which I get; but they did the same thing to PVD last year. I suppose that’s their way of getting people to show up. Maybe they could charge for access to the channel?

2 Likes

:joy:

3 Likes

First time (I think) that Eurobike will have a dedicated handbuilt area :fire::two_hearts::muscle:

4 Likes

Shared on the Radavist. An interview with Kris Henry (44 Bikes) that might be worth a listen.

3 Likes

Good to know the graphic folks at EuroBike are working hard to produce the world’s most unreadable press release. Have they heard about the paragraph?

11 Likes

Well, look at the positives, they could have used Comic Sans! :smiley:

2 Likes

This is similar to the Panasonic video further upthread, but I always find these production settings interesting to watch. I was impressed by the care they took during the painting process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STmZdGNVil0

2 Likes

Not sure if this was shared already…?

1 Like

I have a Panasonic road bike. But I thought they were not produced anymore (footage looks pretty new).

7 Likes

This was very interesting. I had no idea they still make bikes. The BB torch is pretty sweet!

While looking I did some digging on their website. It’s amazing they can build you a bike, a house or a computer!

What are you paying these guys? Great stuff. Keep up the good work.

7 Likes

Custom steel bicycles can help do a lot of things!

5 Likes

I thought he was riding a Stealman.

5 Likes

I owned a couple of Kona Units and they were fantastic, hopefully the new owner will revive this brand and it won’t just die like many others - weirdly enough i owned Gary Fishers and Chumbas so maybe it’s fate

3 Likes

Love so much of what Kona has done but kinda lost interest in the brand once they sold to Kent in 2022. They only bought the brand cause bikes were booming and…

This move allows the Company to direct its resources toward investment in its key water sports businesses.

Turns out they don’t care for bikes anyway. Feel for any employees who might lose their job though. Not a great time to be unemployed in the bike biz.

1 Like