Thicker 37mm head tube stock?

I’m having difficulty finding headtube stock that is thicker than 1.2mm for 1-1/8" straight steer tube. Does anyone have a good source or extra stock I could buy? I have some length of 1.1mm tube but I’m not loving how thin it is for distortion/reaming. I’d be open to using head tube rings/sleeves too. TIA!

You can use 1 1/2 x .095 straight gauge. Its super beefy so I usually turn down the outside a bit on the lathe

4 Likes

I think Nova Cycles used to have a selection of straight headtubes. Unfortunately, they are going out of business. I don’t know for sure, but I think Fairing was making a bunch of their tubes.

I think it may be a good opportunity to find another supplier, otherwise, these tubes will disappear from the framebuilding fossil record.

Are you specifically looking for a 37mm headtube? Or will this 36.5mm tube work (if it were in stock)?

2 Likes

When you mention 37 mm tube, I’m assuming that’s the OD, not the bearing cup size. We have some remnants of 1-1/2" x .083"w left over from BB shells. ID is 1.33", or 33.8 mm, just about right to ream to 34 mm. Pretty easy to relieve the OD to save some weight. I can send a piece if you pay shipping.

We’ll soon have relieved 37 mm headtubes on our website. 37 mm in this context refers to the finished ID, for a 37 mm bearing cup. This larger size is to accommodate 1-1/8" x 1-1/4" tapered steerers as well as 1-1/8" straight steerers. Wall thickness at the cup is 2 mm, and 1 mm at the relieved center section. We gave some away as pre-production samples, if you’d like one or two for the cost of shipping, they’re yours. If you are never going to run a tapered steerer, stick with the 1-1/2" tube first mentioned. It’s much easier to source a reamer and headset.

See EC37 Vs EC38 Trial: 1.125 to 1.25 tapered headtubes for some pics and a dimensional drawing.

4 Likes

Exactly, It’s for 34mm ID headset cups, that remnant tubing looks like it would do the trick really nicely! How can I send you shipping info? And I’d love a sample headtube or two, I’m up in AK so might as well since shipping is a hassle anyway! Thank you so much!!

1 Like

Yeah sorry my nomenclature isn’t super spot on, I’m looking for eventual 34 ID headtube stock that is closer to 2mm thick than 1.

2 Likes

1-1/2" remnants are 11-1/2" long, let me know how many. 37 mm headtubes are every 10 mm from 100 to 180 mm. Choose a couple, we should have the correct length.

Send an email to Coco, orders@paragonmachineworks.com with your tubing request and shipping address. She’ll get back to you about shipping costs and how to pay.

Please post some pics of your builds!

@Coco_PMW

4 Likes