Truss Fork thread

Here’s something that hasn’t been talked about yet on the forum. Truss Forks! Has anybody built one? I don’t have a whole lot to add, but just trying to get a discussion going.

Practical? Well, that’s up to debate, but I love the way an elegant truss fork looks. Thinking about trying one out.

7 Likes

I occasionally build truss forks. Titanium in my case. They are probably the lighest fork options, stiff with very precise stearing and they lend themselves to integrating luggage carrying options. Certainly outside the esthetic comfort zone for many, but technically very good indeed.

4 Likes

I’d like to build one, but have so many questions.
The first one is, how tight is the head tube headset spacing? Can you use spacers?

I’m also interested in building one. Seems like the best use for titanium in a fork design.

1 Like

This topic sent me searching for truss fork photos. First result was a TI truss forked, belt drive, fat tire E-Bike frame from Aliexpress. This thing has it all! Except front brakes… :rofl:

Seriously, I am very interested in how frame builders account for headset height. Do the upper legs have enough flex to make up a few tenths of MM after shimming?

3 Likes

I built a steel truss fork in about 1978, I’ll see if I can find a photo.

The headset stack height and truss fastening mechanism have to be dead on, or have a method to adjust. A few tenths of MM may be too much. Any force applied to the headset bearing by the truss fastening mechanism will result in short bearing life. I put mine together, measured the difference and made a shim to fit. It worked well; that bike was my only bike at the time, so it got a lot of miles for a few years.

5 Likes

Not neccessarily a truss fork but this bike by Moustach Cycles features a truss style front rack that clamps to the steerer tube above the headset.

There’s a blog post following up on the bike where Richardo mentions the need to add a binder to prevent play, likely to do with the use of a Cane Creek 100 headset that features a recess in the top cover for their interlock spacers. All good stuff to consider!

I turned a light and flexy fork to a rideable one by adding trusses. It made a world of difference : no deflection front to back and a more precise steering.
The truses are 3/8’’ stainless steel tubing.

For the next one I wish to make for my new bike, I think I’ll use 3/4’’ main legs with 1/2’’ trusses.

2 Likes