Van der zwaard build log

I have been building a few cargo forks. For 20” wheels , to fit in a 90s mtb frame.
I source old bmx bikes and use the fork.

7 Likes

Neat. Does it actually save any time to use old forks, though?

I personally would be sketched out using anything that I didn’t know the materials/gauges/history, but that’s just me.

Looks like a lot of paint is getting burned while brazing, make sure your respirator fits well.

-Walt

3 Likes

I started using an old fork because I couldn’t figure out the height of the canti bosses.

Finished a gravel frame today. Used 12mm 4130 for the seatstays and bend them with a ridgid bender.

4 Likes

I build frames under my family name so changed smooth sailor build log into the above.

I started a segmented fork today , that goes with the frame I’m building.
Started with the slots in the blades. Off center so the disc rotor clears the leg.
Next set up my mill for the connecting pieces of tube. I use old steerer tube cut offs.
And than the fiddling/swearing starts.
It seems like it’s ready to braze

3 Likes

And some of the frame

6 Likes

Apart from making it shiny, I finished the segmented fork today. I had to make the connecting tubes again. Second time always smoother.

6 Likes

Beauty! I love the side profile. What did you use for the fork blades?

Thank you @Daniel_Y
The blades are from Columbus for disc. 28.6 mm at the top 18.3 at the dropout.
https://www.columbus1919.com/en/fork-blades-en/#
These

2 Likes

Only a few cable guides left to do on this build.
Frame for 29X2.5” wheels/tires , used a konga yoke. Boost segmented fork and a pizza rack

3 Likes

Build up this frame to see if everything turns, clears etc. It does. No decide on paint.

It’s a tourer frame for 650B wheels and 2” tires. White industries crank and headset, paul brakes, sram derailleur and levers.
Made the fork , rack and stem

9 Likes

Today I finished building another cargofork. Used an old bmx fork. Put a holesaw thru the crown , to put a tube rhru where the extended fork legs can land and build the rack on.
Added a disc tab, and made a crown race seat.
Learned new things again

8 Likes

Another cargofork, this one is for a bombtrack with a tapered head tube, why not.
I steered away from using old bmx forks. Segmented fork crown, paragon hooded dropouts and 25mm straight gauge 4130 tubing for the legs and rack tube

Processing: IMG_1206.jpeg…
Processing: IMG_1215.jpeg…
Processing: IMG_1219.jpeg…

4 Likes

Build another fork. Couldn’t find the legs I thought were appropriate for a segmented disc fork with tab style dropouts. So used a pair chainstays. 1.2mm wall pretty beefy.

5 Likes

I am sorry but I cannot focus on the fork while you have what it looks like a custom DR 650 in the background parked in front of a very clean Defender.

I need details.

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

They,re both not mine. The motorbike is custom indeed, I don’t know the brand. I sat on it though. It didn’t feel right.
The car is a series 1 from a long time ago. My friend is the owner of it and I share his space.
I’m not big on details like that, sorry

2 Likes

Finished a cargobike build.
Wanted to do an omnium “homage” but my fixture headtube doesnt want a headtube that long, so couldn’t do the long one piece down tube.
When I brazed on the extension part I realized that the one braze there is not going to hold it.
Luckily I found a bend tube in my bin, it’s a cut off from an old Dutch Oma bike.
And part of the rack is brazed to the headtube, I feel confident now.

5 Likes