Vintage Mountain bike turned cargo bike

Hello community! I thought ya’ll might be interested in my latest weird project. My pit bull puppy is now 45lbs and too big for my Crust Clydesdale cargo fork, so I decided to make a long nose cargo bike! I’m no framebuilder, but I can braze ok enough, So I decided to build off the front of a vintage steel mountain bike. I took inspiration from my boss Mark’s Frances cable steering cargo bike. I went with a 1989 Nishiki Ariel, partially because the bend in the downtube gives me more clearance for the cargo area, and partially because I wanted an excuse to buy an already weird bike haha.

Here’s my sophisticated initial design work.

I don’t have access to a bender, But we do have a hydraulic conduit bender here at the shop. I discovered I can get about a 12degree bend with some heat before my tubing would buckle. So I did everything in lots of little elbows.

Tube Block alignment

Made some clamp on steering pulleys on the lathe

Built!

Pretty much everything was eyeball alignment, so lots of it isn’t perfectly symmetrical. But it rides great, and proved out with a 55lb brick load test ride through Oakland!

Let me know what ya’ll think!

25 Likes

Super cool, Dave! I love how you picked the weirdest frame design to start :rofl:

4 Likes

Amazing work

2 Likes

I saw this on Instagram and loved it! I need to see it with your doggo!!!

2 Likes

Now that its proven for my commute with the weight I’m working on training her to be in it. I’ll post a picture when shes good to go!

3 Likes

Let me know how you are training her, my Stanley is afraid of his own shadow and I am also building a long john cargo to take him around

1 Like

My pup Roti isn’t scared of much, she’s still young, and shes very treat motivated. So I expect to have a fairly easy time with it. We’ve already got “sit” and “stay” down, and Ive got her pretty well trained to get in the car and go to her seat where I harness her up and clip her in. I’m starting by getting her to sit in the bike and reinforcing with treats. Soon I’ll harness her in and start walking around the back yard. Once she’s chill with that, I’ll try a ride. Tons of treats for positive reinforcement has been key in training my pup. I’ll update if I come across more keys to the process!

5 Likes

Yo love the bike Dave! Such a kook design as so well excecuted. Hope the training goes well. Riding around with ya dog on the front of a cargo bike is so much fun.

t

3 Likes

Update! We’ve done a couple of training rides and last week brought her all the way to work and back. She’s doing great!

8 Likes