Where have all the flat/tabbed dropouts gone?

Maybe this is a fever dream, but I feel like it used to be pretty easy to find flat/tabbed QR fork dropouts. I can only seem to find the socket/plug style in stock in the US. Am I missing something or did these disappear?

(this one is from Ceeway)

It’s not a permanent solution, but these are really nice

On eBay

2 Likes

I get all my flat dropouts from here

3 Likes

Just get your own laser cut. Then it’s exactly how you want it. Dazza at Llewellyn Bikes does that and adds a stainless face plate to it. Makes for an awesome drop out.

1 Like

I don’t know why I didn’t think of that! Seems obvious now :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

:laughing:

5 characters

2 Likes

needs a bit of tweaking but that’s starting to look like a dropout!

Edit:

Wow even better

6 Likes

Is that like for a quick release? Didn’t that go away with the dinosaurs?

5 Likes

:rofl: and thats when the fight started.

6 Likes

Sorry, it’s time for me to bail on the forum.

Oh yeah this is for a bike I’m building for a museum exhibit! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

Looks great!

Maybe there is an added benefit of adjusting the fork offset with digital/custom dropouts? I think this is how Seven adjusted the offset and tire clearance (axle to crown) on their carbon forks: Forks: Seven Cycles

Here is some inspiration from AARN: custom track dropout for icarus frames | aarn

Seems like the laser-cut stainless insert has some opportunity for extra flair or customization. I have seen some examples (can’t find them now) where the stainless insert has tabs cut, to help it index while brazing, and are filed away after. Does anyone have any photos of this?

Also, I know I keep spamming this: make sure you ask to send cut send (or whatever company you use) in the notes to tumble-deburr the parts. Saves a lot of time and looks much better.

3 Likes

Re:icarus dropouts.

What’s that tabby-dropout for?

Are the holes are for fixturing while doing a second operation to the dropouts? if so, what?

I followed the link but got no answers

Good question! My first thought was “belt drive coupler” followed by “why would you need three belt drive couplers?”

3 Likes

The top hole, or eyelet, is for a rack, and the bottom for a fender. The tabs used to be called “lawyer lips” because they were an extra emergency retention measure in case of quick release failure.

Oh sorry, lol, I thought y’all were talking about the original image, not the Icarus dropout!

2 Likes

Paul Wyganowski has/had a large inventory of older framebuilding parts that he sells. Last I checked there wasn’t an inventory shown on his website but you could call him and tell him what you are looking for. Laser cutting is cool though. If you were looking for that sweet old forged stuff he might be an option.