Wtb: cantilever brake post jig

I’m looking for an anachronistic cantilever post jig. Just testing the waters to see what’s out there. Does anyone have one that’s gathering dust in this brave new disc centric world?
I’m in Ohio but will be in Philly at the bike expo this month if that makes anything easier.
Thank you!

1 Like

I know this isn’t exactly what you’re after, but you can make a very accurate and easy to use canti jig with 2 pieces of flat scrap (aluminum, steel). If you drill a hole in the center of both and place a threaded rod between the two to act as your clamp, then on the piece holding the bosses you simply drill 2 holes at roughly 80mm apart to fit an m6 screw through to secure the bosses. This is usually easier to set up then many of the jigs that existed on the market and there is less in the way of your torch for brazing. Here is an example. https://live.staticflickr.com/3876/15191356291_4cb4bef59f_b.jpg

1 Like

Very useful. Thanks

1 Like

For anyone making a jig like the photo above, best to use a clamping bolt on each end and in the middle, then tighten carefully and check that the plates are straight. If you crank down on a single central bolt, the plate may bend and the posts won’t be parallel. Or at least use a thick bar or angle and go easy on the wrench. But a very clever design nonetheless.

5 Likes

Or use angle instead of straight bar and yes, tighten carefully.

I’m working on a more full-featured fixture for easily repeatable front and rear brake posts, like anvil used to offer, but the production version won’t be ready in time for the expo. Maybe I’ll bring a prototype.

That said, if you’re only doing canti posts every once in a while there’s no reason not to make a simple fixture as above.

1 Like

This is my set up, angle iron definitely keeps things rigid better. I used that aluminium barrel nut specifically so i could get enough torque to tighten the jig by hand and that way avoid the possibility of the plate bending by overtightening with a tool. I also have 3 drilled plates in 3 different spacings (75mm, 80mm & 85mm) to make sure I have options to optimize the post positioning depending on how far apart the seatstays, or differences in how different brake models mount to get the pad space right, or to give me the easiest post miter option

2 Likes