Going to jump right in to what I’ve been working on, things that worked and didn’t work for me. Success and failure, so hopefully someone else might be able to not make the same mistakes, or might benefit from something that I learned the hard way. Most everything is going to be low cost, home made for now.
I built a couple frames in a friend’s shop, I’m going to skip over those.
In an effort to scale back my mechanical projects to take less space, I’ve spent the last couple years cleaning out and finishing various car projects. Building a bike frame is a much less space and time intensive project than say, building a tube chassis for a car.
I rarely ride my road bike and thought it would be good to build a gravel frame to replace the road bike and my run around town bike, so out came a frame jig that I put together back in college. It’s been following me around around for almost 10 years.
These pictures are from my dad’s garage, I don’t have a Bridgeport unfortunately. Learned a lot making this frame, ended up scrapping it. So the frame jig I had built a long time ago and uh well it was pretty bad.
These are the mounting brackets I had used for the seat tube and head tube. They are way too complicated and flexy, which puts the head tube and seat tube on different planes.
As you can see here, above straight junk.
I replaced the pivots with these brackets from 8020, theyre simple and made the HT and ST extrusions parallel and rigid.
Continuing this fixture tune up, I noticed the bracket assemblies that hold the head tube and seat tube were not very square. Apparently I decided a saw cut was square enough back in the day. So I fixed those up as best I could without a mill, and without drastically changing the dimension to the frame center.
3d printed some new holders for the HT, ST, bb. Didn’t trust the old ones.
Im currently only set up to print PLA. I know that these holders aren’t going to allow me to fully weld the frame in the fixture, but I think they’ll be sufficient for getting it tacked. It’s probably not the best way to do it. I’d love to hear about your experience and how much welding you do in the fixture.
3d printed this thing to hold the dummy axle, not sure that it’s up to the task, but I’ll find out. Big thanks to my buddy Joey for letting me borrow his axle.
I think that’s all for recent fixture related updates. There are some more pieces to design and print, but this is atleast enough to hold the tubes kinda in the right spots. Pretty excited about these improvements to the fixture.