OFXD builds (Scandinavian design)

I have a pretty tight schedule to get this rear welded up and right now it looks doable. Planning and preparation is paying off.

I have used regular steels (SSAB Raex or something similar) for my splits, but this time all the parts are stainless so it won’t rust or corrode even in winter use. The bolt is grade 5 titanium, because why not. Why won’t Paragon make Syntace drops in stainless? :melting_face:

1 Like

7 Likes

I don’t a have broaching tool so this is how I make a piece to hold a nut on my split seat stay. I machine down a socket, cut the piece and silver solder it inside my stainless piece. I figured this is a safe way to go instead of threading my parts - if the bolt snaps, I can always get a M6 nut and bolt from any hardware store.

This time I was had to do it twice as I got generous with solder and it built a fillet inside the socket :melting_face:.

5 Likes

I finished this silly bike and handed it over to the owner.

5 Likes

1 Like

Here’s a demonstration of flame straightening a frame.

8 Likes

pretty tight but should fit a post mount saddle. any ideas how to set the posts up?

3 Likes

1 Like

Hey, any thought on where to mount the rear dynamo light on a split bicycle? Ideally it should be somewhere other than the stays or the saddle as they will come off when the bike is packed.

2 Likes

Thanks so much for showing how to do this heat straitening technique in a video! Very cool!

2 Likes

happy to help!

I didn’t have a BB post to fit a PF30 so I made a quick and dirty one from a flange, tubing and other scraps.

3 Likes

sure would be faster making these if someone offered readily maachined parts for this type of split. packs flat like ikea.

8 Likes

That looks good, you will have to let us know how it rides. Will be interesting to see if it’s noticeably more flexible than a normal hardtail

1 Like

I’ve already built three and can’t say there is any flex in them when they are bolted together. Nevertheless, I shall report on my findings as soon as I find things!

Imgur

3 Likes

Here we go. I already built a steel fork with SON SL dropouts for the bike, but I’ve been testing it with some old components. Does anything beat the feeling of riding your own custom bike for the first time?

7 Likes

ezgif-4-78874428ec

Okay. Managed to put together my CMWC 2023 bike with time to spare for a test ride. I didn’t have any time to spend on the paint so I did an epoxy primer and a coat of Mipa Rust Effect WBC paint, which mimics the look and feel of rusted steel. Didn’t have to worry about dry spots or paint running :smiley:

I am using Zeno quick releases on the hydraulic lines, one at the front lever and another on the hose. Haven’t tried them before but they seem to work fine for now. They also have a line of “fit everything” hose fittings that don’t use any olives or barbs.

The rear and front racks pack flat.

6 Likes

I split the frame in two and removed the fork for travel. After my train journey I found out I left the topcap on our living room floor.

1 Like

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

4 Likes

Clock is ticking and our flight to Tokyo boards in less than 20 hours. Thanks to Finnair not being able cross over Russia anymore, this will be my longest flight ever at almost 15 hours :sweat:

BUT I got the bike done and then swiftly broke it into a zillion pieces in order to pack it super compact.

I found that the Novatec 4in1 rear hub is easy to take apart just by removin the axle. Makes the package a lot more narrow. I know Ritchey has a hub like this for use with Breakaway frames, but those wheelsets are pretty expensive compared to the Novatec.

^ feelings today at the workshop

5 Likes

Looks great! Have a fun trip, and please post pics of all the cool stuff you see.