The Canada Thread - parts sourcing - bulk ordering - heating igloos

If you don’t mind getting larger quantities, I’ve bought 4130 and stainless from Russel Metals in the past, but you’re looking at fairly large minimum lengths. Don’t know current pricing but I guess I should check, I’m almost out from my last order. www.russelmetals.com. Branches across Canada.

2 Likes

Does Thyssen Krupp’s onlinemetals.com ship to Canada?

1 Like

Just updating myself here.

Aircraft spruce 1/4" 0.035" tubing is $5.35/foot
3/8" 0.035" is $8.85/foot

I must have read the website wrong before my original inquiry!

3 Likes

Hello fellow Canadians! I have a little PSA that I think some of y’all might find interesting

I work for C&L Cycles bike shop in Montreal, which is also the home of Bassi Bikes (made by Maxway in Taiwan). One of the owner (J-D) and I are starting to work on a framebuilding project, which pushed J-D to look into sourcing and potentially distributing certain materials in Canada. As a first step, we have a shipment of no-name 4130 butted tubes coming in some time this spring, directly from Taiwan, and they will be on sale on the website. Tubes shipment aren’t gonna be frequent, but if you have specific needs, we’d be happy to source them for you if possible.

The shops and bike brand have a pretty good infrastructure, and have a certain number of contacts in Taiwan and in the US. I’m just the head mech so I don’t know about all the stuff happening behind the scene or precisely what is accessible or not, but I know the owners are keen to work on distribution deals with various manufacturers. Anything in particular that is either hard to get in Canada or overly expensive? Hardware? Consumables? Let me know and I’ll see what can be done.

Obviously the main point in doing this for us is to get better prices on materials for our own framebuilding operation, but we’d love it if the rest of the Canadian framebuilding community can profit from it too!

8 Likes

If you can find a less expensive way to get our products into your country, that would be so keen!

2 Likes

Anyone have family members willing to swallow condoms packed with stainless bottle bosses?

3 Likes

Just had a quick look at the web site and it looks promising. Please let us know when new products are listed.

1 Like

This is awesome!

Personally 3/8, 5/8, 3/4, 1" straight gauge for racks and stays. Above that I think most people are pretty picky about butt placement.

2 Likes

Well I’m not sure I’m supposed to talk about it, but I know our folks chatted with your folks about opening an account at the Philly Expo! I’m not gonna say more because I really don’t know what type of deal was discussed and if it really is happening, but I think we can all agree it would be a great idea

1 Like

We used to have 9 or 10mm tubes for rack, as well as 1" straight gauge but I guess we ran out as I can’t find those on the website. But noted, I’ll see if we planned on restocking

I’m sure everyone was talking to everyone at the Philly Show. I heard it was very busy!

If there’s something going on behind the curtain that I’m not privvy to, that’s great. But if someone lost someone’s contact information, you can always share mine: Coco at orders@paragonmachineworks.com

3 Likes

Thanks @Coco_PMW ! I think the guys have been a bit overwhelmed post-expo, they’ll get back to you soon enough!

I’ve been made aware that parts and hardware from Allotec are also coming late May along with double and triple butted chromoly tubes, and Long Shen eventually. I’ll try to let y’all know when stuff arrive. I still don’t know how it’ll be price wise, how advantageous it’ll be for Canadians and all, but please do reach out if you have any concerns or requests, we’re happy to help!

1 Like

Hey all, we finally got the parts from Taiwan! In the link below you will find straight and double butted tubes, a few fork crowns and dropouts as well as various hardware pieces:

I’m not a framebuilder so I don’t know how advantageous this is for y’all, I’d be curious to get some feedback if some of you are interested in ordering. If you have any suggestions on how to make it more advantageous for Canadian framebuilders let me know and I’ll see what can be done!

4 Likes

Nice selection of 22.2 for handlebar making!

1 Like