[Video Tutorial] Creating useful 2D frame construction drawings Fusion360

When it rains video tutorials, it pours. But really though, its been raining on and off the past month, and I am getting stir-crazy.

Forward:

In this tutorial, I show how to create useful 2D drawings that can be used to construct a bike in real life. If you take the time to understand this tutorial, you will have a very powerful tool in your toolbox. Fusion360 2D drawings are more accurate, customizable, and automatically generated.

It has taken me over 500hrs in CAD to develop this workflow. I considered keeping it to myself to keep my competitive advantage, but I believe the information is better off living in the community. I hope that this tutorial can help modernize framebuilding: make it more accessible to hobbyists and more efficient for professionals.

one quick note: I use the paid version of Fusion360, which allows me to split up drawings into different pages. For this tutorial, I placed everything on a large sheet to work around the “one sheet” limit. However, I have not tested my tutorial with the free version, so please let me know if there are issues!

Video (Make sure you watch in HD!):

Files:

Download through autodesk website (recommended):

1. Fusion 360 link: Finished Model
  2. download > fusion360 Archive > enter in email
  3. downloading the drawing archive will download the 3D frame!

PDF: MTB Demo Finished Drawing v6.pdf (146.8 KB)
Fusion File: MTB+Demo+Finished+Drawing.f3z (1.4 MB)

Step 1 - Reference Sketch 03:15

The reference sketch is drawn in your 3D assembly and is used to create pull dimensions in your 2D drawings.

Don’t forget these two BB tangent reference lines!

Step 2 - Create 2D Drawing 06:32

File > new drawing > from design

Headtube Details:

BB Details:

ST Details:
Comments:
I forgot to show the dimensions of the dropout. This is useful for the SS and CS offsets due to the 1.5in diameter droupouts:

Step 3 - Create SS Auxilary View 12:37

Comments:

Step 4 - Create CS Auxilary View 15:05

Comments:

• Make sure you check the “Tangent Edges” and “Interference Edges” boxes!
  • Everyone fixtures their chainstays slightly differently, so pull the dimensions you need

Conclusions 17:44

There will inevitably be missing dimensions or specific dimensions you need for your workflow. You may need to create more reference sketches in your 3D CAD or modify your CS and SS centerline sketches.

Hope you enjoyed the tutorial. Let me know if you have any questions or comments. To show thanks, please post up your results!

7 Likes

You are a beginner frame builder dream come true. You have now saved me days if not years of learning. Thank you so much.

6 Likes

You mean I am not supposed to take a photo on my phone of the Fusion Sketch and then take that out to the garage to use as my drawing for cutting tubes or setting the jig? Huh.

Thanks for sharing this. Looking forward to putting it into action on the next frame.

3 Likes

Hi Daniel,

I’ve done a run-through model and drawing following your two videos. Many thanks, so good to have such a tidy efficient workflow compared to the mess I had created myself previously.
I’ve also added in a full set of configurations, so can hold my 6 standard versions and a custom version within one model.

Given that I have the paid for version of Fusion, how could I put drawings of the individual main tubes each onto their own sheet in the same workbook?

All the best,
Dan Chambers

2 Likes

Thanks!

Correct. Paid version allows separate pages which makes them easier to print and read.

Here is one for reference. Note: I didn’t finish the CS sub assembly drawings because it was still TBD.

Nocturna - 58 Drawing v5.pdf (213.0 KB)

Cool! I still need to play around with this. Good to see its useful.

1 Like

Thanks for that.
I’ll have a look at your pdf and see how could work for me next week.

The model I have been working on is commercially sensitive for a client, but I will show and tell with a new one for myself with configurations added in.

All the best,
Dan Chambers

1 Like