Metal 3D Printing and Framebuilding

You’re right, I’m sure it was too cold. I was running 85 amps, 33% time on. 33% peak, 33 Hz. 0.065" wall thickness. I’ll crank it up a few notches and see how the next one goes, thanks for the tips!

What filler and size?

When I do a tube to a printed part I use 125a, 12% background, 15% time on. This is for .035” to printed part. I use .045 ER312 for filler.

3 Likes

Filler is .045 ER308

I prefer ER312 for its flow characteristics but 308 is very close.

2 Likes

@BS_Industries I just welded up a very similar joint on my frame and had the same trouble. It’s a tough joint to weld. Good luck! I hit the weld surfaces with a file to remove a skin that I’ve found on the surface of some printed parts.
Thanks for the tips @Neuhaus_Metalworks

5 Likes

Hey guys, I have been designing these dropouts for thru axle, and 160mm flat mount disc brakes. my first attempt printed well and after a few tries i got it relatively well mounted to the chainstays. But as it turned out my dimensions for the disc brakes were way off. For my second attempt I wanted to Show it here so I don’t waste more time and money.

The thing im least certain about is the 46,5 from centre axle to first bolt hole.

3d printed dropout lefft.pdf (186.9 KB)

I’m not sure where you’re getting the 46.5mm number from. For 140/160mm rotors it would be 36.5mm or for 160/180mm rotors (which it looks like is what you’re doing) it would be 45mm.

Otherwise it looks great!

1 Like

Hey thanks for the diagram, I based most my design on that and then couldn’t find it anymore. Ill change the 46,5 to 45 and I think it will work then.

1 Like

@liberationfab is correct, the distance to the first boss should be 45mm

Just another quick check, are you sure the bore should be 12.5mm? Typically for a 12mm thru-axle, you need 12.1mm for clearance. For 3D printing, you almost want less so you can ream out the inevitable non-roundness.

1 Like

As Daniel sad. 3D printing isn’t super accurate. It’s pretty good though but you need to design for any assembly surfaces to be post machined. I’ve found for example if the axle hole is modelled at 12.0mm it will also come in a fraction undersized which you either drill or ream out to size.

1 Like

Just thought I’d share my 3D printing experience with the group – printed from Al10SiMg, with just a simple shell with variable wall thickness of 3mm at the stem clamp all the way down to 1.5mm at the bar ends. Printed in one piece with two exit holes for powder to escape, and I used 3DPBS to have them printed. So far it’s holding up nicely in the test rig and passed fatigue testing (1000N on each end, out of phase, 30,000 cycles), but I think it’s still overkill on the wall thickness. They’re designed for track sprint events and need to hold up to the massive forces coming out from the riders.

11 Likes